Monday, June 4, 2012

Two Months in Taipei

I really can't believe it has been two months already.  The time has gone so quickly.

I've kept busy with the same work schedule as before but I have been doing a bit more acting work which should help, come payday.  The first issue of the magazine which I do the acting for is now on he stands and contains a small picture of me and a comes with a DVD of a video clip with me in it.  They gave me a copy for free!  The company publishes about 4 different magazines and next month I will likely be in all 4.  Pretty soon I can start hanging out in bookstores next to the magazine rack waiting for someone to recognize me...



Last weekend I went to a nearby forested area to see fireflies.   It is currently nearing the end of firefly season and firefly viewing is a semi-popular activity here.   I had never seen a firefly before and I was really impressed with how bright they can glow.

Last week was also the draw for the receipt lottery numbers.   Half an hour of flipping through receipts and absolutely nothing to show for it. I'm not sure if I will check my receipts in the next draw.
During some mid-week spare time I went to check out Dihua old street which features both Japanese  colonial and Qing dynasty architecture.  It was a nice activity and the old storefronts were a welcome change from the usual tiled old buildings that line most Taipei streets.







This past Saturday I went to hot-spring area called Beitou.  Beitou was nice an I visited the hot-spring museum which is housed in an turn-of-the-century Japanese bath-house.  The highlight of Beitou was the "Thermal Valley" which is an open hot spring pool that bubbles and steams up making for a pretty cool tourist site.












On Sunday, I took another short trip on the metro  to the northern suburbs of Neihu.  The have a scenic park up in the hills which is famed for it's traditional styled bridge which crosses a narrow point of a beautiful lake. It was quite beautiful, unfortunately, the weather wasn't.




My Chinese language abilities are improving much quicker than I ever would have expected and I've really been enjoying learning another language, especially being in an environment where I can immediately apply what I've learned.

That's all for now.  This weekend is my birthday and I haven't decided how I'll celebrate yet (more than likely in a bar).

 I'll leave you with some more random pictures from around Taipei

Confusing bikelanes.

Mango and Beer (my favourites) together at last!







No comments:

Post a Comment