Sunday, July 15, 2012

Keelung, Bitan, and Sunshine



The constant rains are a thing of the past and Taiwan, the sweet potato shaped island, is baking. 

Following my first day at the new job everything continued to flow smoothly. The students have continued to be well behaved.

I was hoping to do some day trips after school as I have mostly free afternoons now. During my first week I managed only one, short, day trip to a scenic area called Bitan.


Bitan is only a short metro ride away from where I live but the riverside park there has a lot of natural beauty that is complemented by and old pedestrian suspension bridge that spans the width of the river. Bitan is a popular date destination and had many restaurants lining the river and romantic two-seater paddle boats for hire. As I was alone, I stuck to wandering around the area on foot.



One of the reasons that I didn't venture further afield last week was that I had an unfortunate altercation with a small metal spring that left my right eye swollen, sore and the colour strawberry syrup. Luckily, my vision wasn't damaged and I picked up some eye drops at the pharmacy which returned my eye to it's usual vanilla flavour within a couple of days.

I got out to see the new Spiderman movie in theatre on the weekend. Seeing movies here is weird sometimes because, since everyone is reading the Chinese subtitles, nearly everyone laughs at jokes before the actor has even spoken them in English.  It gives me half a second of warning to prepare for something funny (sometimes I think the Chinese translation must have been funnier than what was said in English).

Apart from seeing Spiderman, a standard weekend of drinking beers in front of convenience stores would see me into my second week at the new job. I was told that I would have 2 more students in my class this week bringing the total up to 7.

To make up for my lack of success at doing much in the afternoons the prior week I made certain that shortly after finishing teaching on Monday I was en-route to the Baishawan (White Sand Beach). 




Getting to the beach from Taipei using Public transit is a bit of a lengthy undertaking. Baishawan is the closest beach to Taipei and it still took me about 1.5 hours using the MRT and bus. As a small conciliation the bus-ride through the rural countryside was pretty scenic. The beach itself was very nice and the weather was gorgeous. Even considering the travel time it was a great way to pass the afternoon and certainly a pretty good Monday overall.


The following day temperatures in Taipei reached 38 degrees. I was dripping sweat while filming an outdoor scene for the magazine. Luckily I was portraying a lost tourist looking like a sweaty mess was appropriate for the role.


On the Wednesday I caught a bus to the sea-side city of Keelung (pronounced Jilung). Keelung is the second largest port in Taiwan and is just a half-an-hour bus ride from Taipei. For the second time in a week, it was nice to breath in the ocean air and feel it's cooling breeze.


I saw some interesting sites around Keelung including it's famous night-market and some impressive hillside temples. While I didn't see all the things in Keelung that I had hoped to see, it is close enough that I can easily make the trip again in the future.









It was an eventful week for me I, I was invited on the Thursday to go swimming in the rooftop pool at a friend's building. I had previously heard rumours that most of the modern apartment buildings in Taipei had pools on their roofs but as most people I know live in old dingy low-rises, this was my first chance to see and swim in one. The views surrounding the pool were awesome and the constant breeze that came with the rooftop height made the pool the perfect place to relax and cool off from the 35+ degree heat.




On the weekend I attended a party in an abandoned bottle-cap factory. The party itself wasn't the greatest but the old industrial venue proved to be pretty cool.

I don't yet what I'll get up to this week but another week of sunshine has been forecast. I have now been in Taiwan longer that I have been in Canada in the past year.


No comments:

Post a Comment